24.5.13

Everybody is Weird Except Me


I'm in the process of shooting my photo final which is really exciting. I'm taking a series of surreal stevie nicks meets purity ring type self portraits. I'm like half done because the weather where I live is REALLY MOODY therefore I only take pictures whenever the weather is remotely nice. Anyways, here are two images I like in particular. The First is Called Everybody is Weird Except Me and the second is Phenomenons. 
 I used this series to highlight my personal body landscape. I created a response to beauty conventions as well as the kind of intellectual limbo I've experienced in junior year. I'm becoming hyper away of my classmates feelings towards my mannerisms. These photos depict my constant insecurity. I would love to believe I have booming self confidence but to be completely honest I don't. I'm awkward and too self depreciating . These photos, to quote an article from the New York Times, are the audacity of my awkwardness but also highlight my beauty and self perception in the least superficial way possible. The title of this series is "A Warped Dream Vision of Self" and I think it fits my prints perfectly.
I'm kind of in an awkward tween boy phase  as far as aesthetics go right now. I fluctuate constantly from dressing like an ethereal dream fairy and dressing all Zayna Bayne/Rick Owens (so like in other words dressing in all black and being all Dominatrix-y but not in a sexual sense). In other words, my brain is on two completely opposite sides of the ~fashun spectrum~ at this moment in time. I'll probably mellow out sometime in the near future but I'm not exactly sure when. 
I really just want to create compelling outfits all the time, the ones that focus intensely on certain visions, dreams, and pop culture references. However, having the limited wardrobe of a teenage girl can be tolling. Finding beautiful pieces of clothing is like finding a visually stimulating print in a museum, you kind of just have to look at it longingly and try to block the idea of stealing it out your head. 
For example, there are these Margiela boots that I've been fawning over for ages. My size stills exists but only virtually. Like it will never exist in my personal reality because I'm 17 and therefore #broke I saw a pair of knock off Jeffrey Campbell boots but I realized it wouldn't be the same. The Margiela boots were created like a work of art, their dreamy pvc-ness isn't really worthy of me. Art is expensive and fashion is just as much of an art as any other medium. 
-R
ps look forward to pictures from ~prom~ soon

5 comments:

Sarah Deetz said...

keep questioning why you're into two different aesthetics, conflict = new explorations. I wanna see the rest of this series. xxx

alix said...

I don't even know what to say about this because its so perfect and right I don't want to spoil with stupid words.
(but on the music: tame impala are the best! and you should listen to Teen Mom - I wanna go out)

melina bee said...

aw! i really wanna see your prom pix! i never attended mine.

The Sequined World said...

I love that picture with the colourful blanket! Your blog is literally perfect x

emily marlow said...

great photos, cant wait to see the rest

emily
http://whatemilywears.blogspot.co.uk/