24.8.12

Babe Attack: Mermaidens

So it's been quite a while since I've done an interview on this blog. As you can tell I've finally changed that. Anyways, I've been obsessed with Kailey ever since I discovered her blog a couple months back. Her effortless style and overall ~dreaamyy~ aesthetic is beyond perfect. She's also a DIY and Zine queen.

What is Mermaidens?
Mermaidens is my blog where I share my various creative projects and celebrate my love for DIY, personal style, film, and animation!

What is your favorite thing about pastels?
They remind me of my childhood toys!

How do you feel about macaroons?
I haven't ever tried them! Though, as a lover of all things sugary, I'm dying to have a taste!


Make a 5 song playlist for Summer
Ooh that's a toughie! Here are the five songs I've listened to the most this summer:
Bigbang - Fantastic Baby
Beach House - Lover Of Mine
Rihanna - S&M
Björk РHyperballad
Azealia Banks-212

What would you say your spirit animal is?
As somebody who is not Native American, I am not comfortable appropriating that term - but me and Judy Jetson are totally kindred spirits!

What is your favorite Disney Film?
Without a shadow of a doubt, Cinderella (1950)! I don't know if it was the animation, the color scheme, or Cinderella herself - but I have been enthralled with the film ever since I was a tiny thing!

What inspired you to write your zine? How did you feel about creating it?
Marlena introduced me to zines, and also encouraged me to make my own! I just felt really, really excited during the whole process - and impatient for it to be done so I could share it with everybody!



What inspires your outfits/ Who is your biggest style inspiration.
My biggest sources of inspiration come from fashion bloggers (Arabelle, Marlena, and Eline are like the absolute top tier for me), cartoon characters, and film stars! Right now in particular I am loving Judy Jetson and Mia Farrow.

Describe a day in the life of Kailey.
Rather boring, I'm sad to admit! I wake up late, check my email, eat breakfast, walk my (new!) dog and help take care of my younger siblings. It's usually only late at night that I have bursts of creativity and can work on my blog posts, drawings, and D.I.Y. projects! Usually when I get into that mode I can do until I am too tired to continue, so after that I feed my cats and collapse into bed!

What is your favorite item of clothing that you own?
I'm going to be obvious and say my DIY mermaid shirt! I am so so proud that I made it myself, and it's surprisingly versatile! I also feel like it really captures my humor and aesthetic.

What are your hopes for Mermaidens in the future?
I just really hope I can continue doing what I'm doing! I feel so lucky to be part of this community and have the opportunity to create relationships with such talented people. Hopefully I can continue being inspired and inspiring others!

Thanks Kailey! Make sure to check out her obviously rad blog Mermaidens
-Roma

6 comments:

Larissa Blintz said...

Arabelle is also one of my biggest inspirations :-)
Fantastic interview!

Ms. Dee said...

Kailey is a very talented and kind person, love her! Wonderful interview.

Flower said...

Woah this is such a great interview and her blog is awesome <33

Claire said...

Wow, she looks super cool. Can't get over those pastels and oh man, that mermaid shirt! It's brilliant!

Carla said...

This is so cool. I love it when awesome people interview awesome people. She is sooooooo cool and lollypopish!
carla

Audrey (hkittygirl) said...

Lovely interview! She seems so sweet and bubbly! ^^