17.7.12

Suburban Mysticism- A guest post




This is a guest post written by Hvit of H blogs F about Suburban Mysticism
Suburbs are really weird things, especiallyAmerican suburbs. I’ve noticed recently in the current Rookie Mag mania thatwe’re all obsessed with them, obsessed with sun bleached houses and that ideaof conformity, blank white faced walls. Suburbs are all anonymous, and all thesame. All -pretty much- ugly in a not too conspicuous way. I wonder if thereason the fashion-blogger community is so enamoured is because thoseadjectives are pretty much the oppositeof what we’re all trying to get at.
Anonymity, conformity, ugliness.

See what I mean?

The less eccentric approach would be to saythat we’re just trying to glamorise the mundane. So many people live insuburbs- so many of us I guess. That’s what they were designed for. Rows androws of people. Suburbs are a little dystopian aren’t they? Like insects, cellsand cells of houses with matching yards.

I think I’ve just proved you can romanticiseanything, and also add a sci-fi mystery edge to anything. But why do us fashionbloggers think they’re so spiffy? Is it Tavi’s fault? Lana Del Rey’s fault? Isit the Suburbs fault for being too darn attractive? (You slut of a suburb! It’syour fault you’re posted all over the blogosphere!*)

What’s weird though, is that I’ve never‘met’ a real American suburb. I’m a fashion blogger! I should be lying inperfectly mown yards wearing white lace and looking sad! Sure, I do live in thesuburbs too, but I’m in England,where everything just a bit dirty, a bit mushy and half green, half grey.Rainy, sunny, cloudy, but never with that white hot sun that make the cleansuburbs of teen magazines look like a desirable place to spend a few hours inglittery high heels and ankle socks. ‘Coz from my knowledge that’s whatAmericans do in their suburbs.

It was probably why they were built lookinglike that.

Of course.
*Supposed to be an ironic reference to slutshaming and rape culture, wooops
I slipped and got serious, apologies.
(All pictures fromTumblr except the first and the third which are by Petra Collins.)

-Hvit
(hblogsf.blogspot.com)
(I also am making a fashion/feminism zine-maybe you’ll want to read it? Have a look on my blog for more information. Ipromise I don’t bite.)

3 comments:

Flow Disruption said...

So true! ;) I like the juxtaposition between the houses and landscape and say, a teen's bedroom inside one of those houses, where all the magic and creativity happens. Or kids sneakin' out of their windows at night while their father lies asleep on the couch with the TV on. The what-goes-on-behind-closed-doors type stuff. ;)

Claire said...

My computer is going a bit nuts right now and a bunch of thing are over lapping on the page right now, so I'm only able to read 3/4 of your post, but I agree so much!
Suburbs are definitely romanticized, especially by teens today. I think it might be because many of us relate to them and know them, we live in them during our teen years, and grow to hate the boredom and conformity of them, yet they still have this desolate, creepy ghost-town vibe. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the suburbs. They're so boring, and really lack any creativity in them, however I kind of like to think of this as an opportunity to you know, add your own creativity to them? If that makes sense...
Sorry kind of rambling! But it's such a great subject!

Sasssquatch said...

I love this post, I live in a small suburb too but the cool thing I think is discovering awesome things in our own suburb, for example I have a neighbor who has crazy shaped shrubs in her front yard, and another with a bunch of blind pug dogs, its crazy what we can find in our own backyards!!